First day of winter, or so they say. My Tinuvel still lies languishing in its pouch. I’ll get back to it on Friday, just got to pump out a few more pages and get the word count up to make the supervisors happy. I’m feeling extremely nervous about this. They’ve left me to my own devices for so long, and now, sans guidance, they’re wanting to see my work. I’m almost beside myself in abject terror over what the reaction may be. Yes, I’ve done more in the last 6 months on Tolkien than I did in 2 years on Blake. And yes, I should certainly hope that the quality is at a higher level. And if you talk to me, that much is evident. I’m just not sure whether it’s transferred onto paper. And if it’s transferred onto paper at the expected level of quality, considering I’ve not been given a benchmark by my panel. Of course, I’m probably being silly, but I’m still feeling fairly adrift in the whole thing, so we shall see.
Firstly: Ithilien. I bought some Manos Wool Clasica in “Bramble” at the end of last year from South Seas Knitting. I’ve been looking for something to really show off the colours of this yarn, it is really beautiful. I found it in the Amanda Hat.
The measurements were for my head, which is, admittedly, small. So I jumped at the chance. It’s a lovely, very quick, very easy, pattern.
It really took me a few hours to finish. There is only one problem. It’s huge. And after washing, it grew. I’m pretty disappointed about it. I don’t have enough yarn to make another one in the Manos, but it really looks good.
I’ve ordered some Mmmmmmmmmalabrigo in Paris Night to make another one. This time I’ll cast on 69 stitches instead of 83 (the pattern is in multiples of 7+6), and it should be nice and snug, and fit me. I’m going to be sending Ithilien to a friend of mine currently freezing in Motueka, NZ.
Still, I needed a hat. I’m starting to live vampire hours, in the office at uni until midnight/1am, and when I go home, its really cold. I’d been eyeing out The Yarn Harlot’s “An Unoriginal Hat” for a while now since I’ve had a couple of balls of Big Softie spare from the Stolen Moments Blanket.
The pattern (only 36 rows on 56 stitches on 7mm needles) is very quick, very striking, and took 2 hours (only because Softie can be a little tricky on smaller than recommended needles).
It fits beautifully, it is lovely and snug, it took 1.25 balls, and it will be made again. The Yarn Harlot is a genius.
I’ve called it Aeglos after a cream-white flower found in Beleriand in the Second Age of Middle-earth. From all accounts the flowers were lost in the re-shaping of Arda after the destruction of Nùmenore.
I’m spending my thinking time working on the Hemlock, and I’m still deciding whether I’m going to add the extra three repeats to it. I may. I’ve quite a lot of yarn left, and I’m about 65% of the way through it. So stay tuned.
Time to look at the parallels between Morgoth and Fëanor…